July ~ August

Grant Team Goes for Gold!

Yates County is one of the few, if not only county, in New York State that does not have a recreation complex. Yates County lacks facilities for residents of all ages to go and participate in different activities. The county is also struggling with the limited space available for afterschool activities, educational programs and youth sports programs.

Yates Community Center is working with Penn Yan Youth Lacrosse and Yates County Youth Soccer to apply for a grant through the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. The Recreation Complex Grant Committee consists of committee chair- Alicen Yonts, Penn Yan Youth Lacrosse Treasurer and committee co-chair- Meredyth McMichael, Penn Yan Youth Lacrosse Treasurer and Yates Community Center Board Member. Other committee members include Colby Petersen of Yates County Youth Soccer, Rich Moravec of Penn Yan Youth Lacrosse and Leigh Berry, Youth Sports Advocate, in conjunction with Pam Griffith, Executive Director of Yates Community Center.

The grant will provide a maximum of $500,000 in funds for the development of a recreation complex. Applicants whose projects are located in census tracts with poverty rates of 10% or more, can apply for up to 75% of the project costs. Yates County poverty rate is currently 15.4%. Yates County’s children (18 and under) population is 5,846 and of that 24.3% (1,420) are considered living in poverty. Therefore, the state will match 75% of the $500,000 grant leaving the community to raise the other 25%. All applicants are expected to raise their share within one year of the award, which includes but is not limited to cash, donated professional services, donated supplies and materials towards the construction of the project, volunteer and equipment usage, and in kind services.

The vision of the recreation complex will include four athletic fields to be used by youth lacrosse, soccer and football programs, a walking trail, a playground, pavilions and space for a complete play

environment. The complex will be located at 467 North Main Street Penn Yan, adjacent to the current community center.

For the grant application to be considered, the Yates Community Center must provide letters of support from all municipalities in which the project is located. The grant committee met with and gained support from Senator Tom O’Mara (R) and Assemblyman Phil Palmesano (R) on Thursday June 30. On Wednesday July 6, the committee will be presenting to the Yates County Public Works Committee asking them to pass a resolution to gain support from the County Legislature in order to move forward in the grant application process.

The Yates Community Center wants to thank Toby Bond and the Maeske Family for their generosity in making it possible for us to purchase the additional 13 acres to be able to develop a much needed recreational complex for our county residents.

The Recreation Complex Grant Committee would like your feedback. Bring your family to come see our project plans on Thursday July 14 at 7pm at the Yates Community Center located at 467 North Main Street Penn Yan. Walk the new property. Experience the beautiful walking trail. Give ideas. Ask questions. See you there.

We would love to hear your ideas! Contact Alicen and Meredyth at nysgrant@yatescommunitycenter.org. 


Grant Team Goes For Gold!
For The Complete Press Release » Click Here «

Yoga - Yates County Community Center
For a Yoga Registration Application » Click Here «

This is a group of YCRR fitness center members wearing t-shirts from a fellow member named Wayne Smith who has made a generous donation through an organization he is a part of named Thrivent. The shirts say “Live Generously” and it is thanks to community members like Wayne that we can soon have a brand new and expanded Community Center!!!

No participants have shared feedback about this listing.

Did you participate?

Share Feedback

Upcoming Events

YCRR Donations

Thank you for your support of the Yates Community Center!

Click here for reasons to support the Yates Community Center!

Work & Life Skills Training Application » Click Here «

For A YCRR Membership Application » Click Here «


Everyday Yoga with Sara:
Intake Form » Click Here



Community Fitness
& Wellness Center Rates

Singles: One Day $5, One Week $15, One Month $25, Six Months $140, One Year $250
One Month $45, Six Months $250, One Year $395
One Month $65, Six Months$400, One Year $575

(Family of 4 included, additional charge per member over 4 members)

One-time Mandatory $10.00 Key Fob Charge (one per person)

Community Center Hours may vary due to holidays & inclement weather.

YCRR, Inc., a not-for-profit community-focused corporation, has begun to provide a framework for providing new cultural, recreational, and educational opportunities for Yates County residents.

© 2018 Yates Cultural & Recreational Resources.

Site Design & Development by Meredith Marsh @ FLX creative